Posts Tagged ‘Disco Balls’
When Shelby looked at me and said, “Mom, I want disco balls in my room to reflect the morning light”. I just laughed… anyone who knows Shelby knows that she NEVER sees the morning light!! This morning, I had to pull her out of bed at 9am to start school work.
Then, I started thinking…How could I make affordable disco balls for the girls’ room.
Recycled CDs!!! I have a ton of scratched cds and dvds that can not be used anymore. I bought a handful of white Styrofoam balls , cut up a dozen broken cds and started gluing.
For this project, you will need to following:
- styrofoam balls
- 1-1/2 cds per styrofoam ball
- small dowel rod
- tacky glue (school glue DOES NOT work) – I bought GOOEY GLUE by Darice on sale at Michaels.
- kitchen shears
- cut dowel rod to fit inside the ball with a 1/2 to 1 inch extra on the top
- push the cut rod mostly through the ball, remove, add glue and stick back in.
- cut your cd into small pieces with the shears (regular kitchen scissors DO NOT WORK! Are you doubting me? I tried… with 3 different pairs of scissors)
- apply tacky glue to the ball and glue on the cd pieces – let dry
- add a loop to the top around the rod, then tie a bow with an additional piece.I used hot glue for the top loop and bow.